August 10, 2010

Book Club

Real Book:
Good to Great
Click to Author's Website (Jim Collins). Design of it reminds me of Mad Men (unrelated comment, I know).


I'm trying to read as much as possible, now, since I'm more settled into my new home. I feel like Cher in Clueless "I'm going to read one non school related book per week." Well, I will not be reading "Men are From Mars, Women are From Venus" like Thai or Cher were focusing their energy upon, but I am always interested in books especially about great leaders who have led with integrity, honesty and humility, to build a company from "good to great" so to speak. Thus my interest in this book that I'm about 1/2 way through. It's extremely interesting (I promise) and I'm reading it almost as fast as the Emily Griffin books I like so much too (come on, what girl doesn't like a good light summer/airplane read here and there, I'm only human!). The story that I particularly enjoyed within this novel, regarding what the author called "Level 5 leaders" who lead for the good of their company, and not themselves individually, was regarding Colman Mockler, the previous CEO of Gillette. His leadership, risk taking, yet gracious and intellectual presence took the company from a medium earning company to huge profits and success in the early/late 90's. I highly recommend this read!

Pretend Book:
Kate Spade, Great Expectations
Click to Author Website (Kate Spade)

Ah, Kate. She's my favorite, what can I say. If I had an extra couple of hundred dollars laying around, I would certainly invest in her personal version of Great Expectations. And just look at it, with it's very Wicker Park Hipster feel and all. Just adorable and fresh.


No comments:

Post a Comment