January 25, 2011

Call-E-Flower


I made a really good risotto style barley dish last night. Mine looked almost like this but without the parsley and instead of the pretty background, is my ugly work cube. Ew. Recipe below. Enjoy! This is really tasty!

1 medium head cauliflower, cored
2
tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup pearl barley
3 1/2
cups reduced-sodium chicken
1 1/2 cups water
4
garlic cloves cut with garlic press
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano cheese (I used 3/4 cup b/c I cut out the butter)
1/4 cup almond or soy milk
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 425°F with rack in upper third.
Cut cauliflower into 1/2-inch pieces and toss with 2 Tbsp oil and 1/4 tsp each of salt and pepper. Spread in 1 layer in a large 4-sided sheet pan and roast, stirring occasionally, until cauliflower is tender and well browned, 20 to 30 minutes.

While cauliflower roasts, toast barley in a dry 4-qt heavy pot over medium heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and golden, 5 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl alone. Trust me this step helps. I know it sounds ridiculous but it adds texture. Spray the sauce pan with PAM first.

Bring broth and water to a simmer in a small saucepan that you used for the barley a moment ago. Add garlic from a garlic press. Let that cook for a minute or two. Next, add in the barley along with a 1/2 cup hot broth and briskly simmer, stirring, until absorbed. Keep the heat on pretty high the whole time. Continue simmering and adding hot broth, about 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly and letting each addition be absorbed before adding the next, until barley is just tender and creamy-looking, about 20 minutes (you may have broth left over).I switched off adding in broth, water, and the last time I added in liquid, added in milk. Stir in cauliflower, cheese, and salt and pepper to taste.

I was inspired to make this recipe by Gourmet Magazine, one that I haven't ever heard of believe it or not!

Link to Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment