November 5, 2010

Better than Niro's.


There was this totally disgusting restaurant/amazing at the same time (that was really tasty after a night out at Station 211 in Champaign off Green Street at the University of Illinois) that was called Niro's Gyros. I used to either order their gyros or the chilli cheese fries. Ew. Apparently they have a super low technology website located here. I may poke around there for kicks to see why my waist line was out of control in college. The recipe I made below it about 1/2 the calories and about 75% fat that Niro's. Have a look!


(No I didn't take the photo which accompanies this post. I couldn't get a good one. I will keep everyone in the loop as I search for a used high-end very high quality camera to be able to take much better photographs for my blog).


We grilled the fish. You can either put on the grill (using the same olive oil, salt and pepper toppings) or follow the original directions below that instruct to broil it. Doug is getting really good at making the grill marks perfectly done, so we are using that tool as much as possible before it's freezing outside. This meal was totally fresh and delicious. You'll really enjoy it. I would also suggest putting it on a bed of greens or something if you are going for a lower carbohydrate option. I think that could be really tasty as well.


Ingredients for the Fish:
  • 1 1/2 pounds tilapia fillets
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • Cooking spray
Ingredients for the Tzatziki Sauce:
  • 3/4 cup plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt (I used Fat Free yogurt).
  • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced (I used a garlic press and it makes them smoother that way)
  • Remaining ingredients:
  • 4 (2.75-ounce) Mediterranean-style wheat flatbreads (pita's work just fine)
  • 1/2 cup vertically sliced red onion (about 1/2 small onion) (we put these on the grill, too)
  • 1 ripe avocado, peeled and cut into 12 thin slices
  • 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 small English cucumber, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup) (I added more since it was super fresh tasting)
Preparation

1. Preheat broiler.

2. To prepare fish, brush fish with oil; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Place fish on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Broil 6 minutes or until fish flakes easily.

3. To prepare tzatziki, combine yogurt and next 5 ingredients (through garlic) in a food processor or blender; pulse until smooth.

4. Spread 2 tablespoons tzatziki in the center of each flatbread. Divide fish evenly among flatbreads. Top each serving with 2 tablespoons onion, 3 avocado slices, 2 tomato slices, and about 6 cucumber slices; fold in half. (I ate mine without bread because I was obsessed with the taste of the avacado with the sauce on my fish but both ways work).

I got this recipe from Cooking Light. That's where the image is from in case anyone comes looking for me with handcuffs. It's their photo.

Look at their site for more amazing menu choices. This is one of my top favorite cooking magazines! Click here for the Cooking Light Website.

ENJOY!


No comments:

Post a Comment